Comic-Con International

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Why my friends sometimes annoy me: part 1

I figure this will be a recurring topic, so I'll just title it with a number now and get it over with.

So one of my friends (I'll call him Harry Osmond) is still into Magic and still buys cards. Lots of them.

He's talked about dropping a bigger engine into his '99 Civic hatch for a while now (pretty much the same thing they did with the Cobra, just a lighter car and a smaller engine in this case). The one he wants is from a prelude, I think, which would just fit in the civic engine bay. Apparently, one would cost about $2000. (edit: either a prelude or an integra motor, he can just fit the prelude motor without any modifications.)

I understand this, and I'm okay with it. I come from a family of people who worked on cars. I would like to do stuff to my new car too, but I'm not going to be able to afford much in the new future. (Oh by the way, I got a new car, you can see it later. Posting now.)

So what annoys me in this is that in the past three weeks, he's bought about 5 boxes of booster packs (each box has 30 packs with 15 cards apiece), each of which costs about $120 or so. That's about 600 or so dollars (more because he has bought other cards seperately) on cards that he could have been saving for the engine, right.

So I call him to yell at him, and he says that it's not the case. So I ask why.

Because he used plastic.

That's right, 600+ dollars worth of Magic cards on credit.

Some of you may be able to see why I think Harry deserves to be smacked.

11 comments:

Leelu said...

Speaking of buying games you can't afford, we got Kingdom Hearts 2, so you can stop being afraid of me trying to borrow it. :P

Kelly Sime said...

that's shite

asdfasdfadfasd said...

Yes, please smack him. That is insane.

scott said...

$600 is a lot of money. Especially to spend on magic cards. Putting it on the plastic only compounds the problem.

what kind of car did you get?

David Crowe said...

No no no Scott. It's "What kind of 'penis' did you get to park in my 'driveway?'"

Silly DM.

Tiger said...

You'll have to wait and see.

Tiger said...

Honestly I'm not sure yet. What package is your G35?

Tiger said...

No, that's not what I meant. I was wondering so I could get a look at the specs (hp and weight mostly).

Tiger said...

Hmm, I'm not sure then. My car is heavier (just over 4100lbs), but has about 15 or so more horses.

Tiger said...

Yay! 20 questions.

Yes they do normally measure weight in Kilos, and no, it is not new.

Oh, by the way, I misplaced a 1 in my head in regards to the weight. It's actually 4015lbs.

Tiger said...

More than I could afford straight out.